Rhetorical Texts and Analysis

This Part of the course had to be by far the most complicated assignment I had to do. And it was not because of what I had to do, but because how I was supposed to do it. This was basically pretty new to me, and when I am introduced to something new it can sometimes catch me off guard, so it takes me a little bit extra to prepare myself. However, in the end, I was able to get through it and I was able to output a short, but great piece of work.

Two Buttons Meme |  Keep your native language and develop an accent; Learn another language and develop an accent; IMMIGRANTS TRYING TO NOT STAND OUT WITH AN ACCENT | image tagged in memes,two buttons | made w/ Imgflip meme maker
It’s a whole dilemma having to deal with this.

Through this picture of a meme, I want the argument to go across that Immigrants, to some extent, go through a tough decision in their lives as they start to learn a new language since they are faced with two choices that could lead to nearly the same result. On one side, you have the choice of having to learn a new language, and from there risk starting to lose much of your old language, which leads to the native language becoming less fluent over time as you invest more time into the new language that would most likely help you survive in the new place where you’re at. Then there comes the issue of not wanting or not being able to learn and be able to memorize the new language that one would feel pressured to learn whenever they would arrive at a new country in the search for a job or at least to become one amongst the people.  You will try to preserve your language and the way you speak because it is your culture and the last thing you would want to do is to have a disconnection with your culture and with your family all due to trying to assimilate and learn a new one. Yet as you refuse to try to learn the new language or make very little to no effort to learn it, you end up having to struggle in the world outside of your own family. You are unable to speak the new language, or if you do, only a few words would be able to come out, or it will sound with the thickest accent, which in turn would make it very hard for anyone to be able to understand you. The audience that I would be targeting this too would be immigrants that just like me are learning a new language yet at the same time are starting to lose their native language, and thus have to face a daily choice of whether they want to preserve their culture or accept the fact that one will have to completely assimilate to the new language and the new culture. The rhetorical strategies that I am deciding to use in her are Repetition and also the appeal to Pathos in order to be able to convey the message. To start off, I use Repetition in the meme that I have created because Repetition is something that can be used in order to emphasize a point trying to be made. In the case of the meme that I have used, I repeat the last part on each caption “gain an accent” because I want to emphasize the idea that as an immigrant when moving to another country that speaks a whole different language compared to yours, it is nearly inevitable that one is gonna struggle one way or another, whether it be gaining an accent when trying to speak a such foreign language, or getting so invested into the new language you start to forget your original language and therefore you start to lose your roots. So, in fact, it leads said immigrant to feel a tremendous amount of pressure between choosing whether to preserve or assimilate. Additionally, another rhetorical strategy that I used was an appeal to pathos. Pathos is when an author tries to connect with their audience on an emotional level through the use of images or descriptions of feelings in a text. In this context, the sweating guy is to represent the immigrants that have to make the tough decision. It is meant to emphasize that there is immense pressure being put on and either way both will lead to the same result but at the same time completely different lives. While one struggles in one thing, the other one succeeds in the other, and that is the Immigrant life.